At our residential children’s home we make sure the children we support get the most from every experience and can find the best ways to improve their physical, cognitive and communication skills. This can be through one to one support or may include the benefit of a team of specialist staff.
The new residential building, Tŷ Cwtch opened at Easter in 2012. We were all sad to leave the grand old building which had been our home for many years, but incredibly excited to have a new purpose-built building as a home. Both students and staff had a hand in helping to shape and design the look of their new home.
Our Facilities and Leisure Activities
There is a comfy, cosy, television lounge with Sky TV and big sofas or P-Pods to relax in, a lovely fitted kitchen and dining area where young people can enjoy meals and snacks and work on those all-important independent life skills. Our other facilities include a sensory garden and a fully accessible greenhouse.
Evenings, weekends and non term time offer the young people in Tŷ Cwtch valuable time for relaxation and opportunities for a variety of leisure experiences, both scheduled and spontaneous.
Each young person is encouraged and supported to find out what they enjoy. These activities are fundamental to our work in supporting them to develop their identity and self-esteem.
Residential care staff work with the young people in the evening and at weekends promoting self-help and communication skills, while developing leisure interests and social skills – both onsite and in the local community.
The young people who stay at Tŷ Cwtch also have access to all of the school facilities.
“Tŷ Cwtch” provides: –
- Eight Single Bedrooms
- All bedrooms are personalised for the individual children or young people living or staying in them
- All beds are adjustable heights and all rooms have hoists
- A television and DVD player in each room
- A large TV lounge with satellite input
- All areas are wheelchair accessible
- Wi-Fi throughout the building and telephones for contacting family and friends
- A large open plan kitchen area with dining area
- Three modified bathrooms – 2 with showers and the other large bathroom with jacuzzi bath
- Laundry facilities with washing machine and tumble dryers
- Adapted vehicles to transport young people
- Safety swipe card access system for access to all buildings to ensure safety
- Secure safe private garden area with water feature, sun terrace and BBQ area
Privacy is available to all young people in shared bedrooms.
There is a quiet area for anyone who is feeling upset or feeling unwell.
When living or staying at Tŷ Cwtch children and young people also benefit from the school facilities such as:
- A hall for discos and parties
- Large Gardens and woodland
- Hydrotherapy swimming pool
- Rebound room
- Park with covered area swing and roundabout